It may surprise a lot of people to realise that the actual packaging of the product often costs more than the product itself. To the uninitiated, it seems ridiculous – to the experts, it’s a simple fact of life. Packaging is no longer a matter of keeping the product safe and in good condition from the moment they leave the factory and enter the household. Packaging has become a means of sales in and of itself. It’s a matter of promotion and a matter of getting sales.
Contract packaging is a way to stay in touch with the current market and making sure your product has a chance to compete. Have you ever wondered what true packaging entails? Here are the five most important benefits of contract packaging you should know.
The old way of doing things
You package it yourself – and your main goal was to make sure the product was safe, ready for transport – and perhaps some labeling in order to make sure your brand is known. Things, however, have evolved, and there’s a lot more to packaging now than before.
How things have changed
It’s no longer about safeguarding the product alone; it’s about standing out, getting picked amongst the rest of the other products, and selling your brand. It’s a bit more complicated today.
The major advantages
There are many advantages and benefits to the contract packing service – but here are the major ones:
- Less cost – the service has all the major equipment needed (as well as the space and the manpower) so that your packaging automatically has a much lower overhead; hence, much lower cost with greater efficiency.
- More flexibility – Businesses often don’t have the luxury of experimenting with different kinds of packaging, simply because the costs don’t allow it. Not so with an outsourced service; you can try different ideas and arrive at the perfect one with some flexible experimentation and easy feedback.
- Quicker results – the machines and men are ready to go; the system has been set up.
- Seasonal packaging – flexibility means change in different seasons (read: sales all year round)
- Sustained growth – you’ll have expertise that advises you constantly. You can adjust your plans for sustained growth.
Here’s what’s so great about contract packaging services: they usually focus on a particular market and therefore have accumulated a lot of knowledge and expertise when it comes to a certain focus group.
In other words, you not only get the benefit of greater tools and services to actually create the perfect packaging for your product, you also get the benefit of expertise in terms of how to penetrate the market and make your product stand out. It’s a win-win for all; you, the packaging company, and the consumer. It’s your perfect chance to grow.